I’ve just self-published Nyx, my first novel on amazon. I’ve put together a print book and an ebook. Amazon is (hopefully) in the process of linking those two together right now.
Since I got a huge amount of help from writers who have shared their experiences, I thought I’d do the same. I’ll start with the costs of self-publishing. I’ve decided to go the print-on-demand route of CreateSpace.
- Scrivener (fantastic word processor geared toward novelists. Worth every penny): $45
- InDesign (required to make interior of printed book look good): $558
- Professional cover (I used theBookDesigners and am very happy with them): $1,500
- ISBNs (I bought a package of ten): $250
- Physical proofs and author copies (so far): $120
Total so far: $2,473
And I haven’t even done any real marketing yet! I expect to shell out a lot for book copies for reviewers and friends/family. I also plan to dip my toe into the world of advertising, most likely starting with Reddit.
I just spent $90 to advertise for three days on Reddit Fantasy. I’ll let everyone know how that goes. The ad will run 4/11-4/13
Also, I just bought 100 author copies to give out to friends, family, baristas, and reviewers. I’m operating under the premise that giving stuff away for free will lead to positive word-of-mouth and potentially a lot more sales. Total cost plus shipping: $750
Updated Total: $3,313
Good god. I hope this works.